The Amazing World of Doctor Who.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Anybody Want the full set to date
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyTue 5 May 2020 - 20:13 by FullSetToDateSeller

» 150 - The Valeyard
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyMon 18 Mar 2019 - 18:37 by The Eternal Dalek

» Future figures
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptySun 20 Jan 2019 - 2:01 by The Eternal Dalek

» Series 11 soundtrack
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyMon 17 Dec 2018 - 10:38 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Doctor Who magzine 2018
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyMon 17 Dec 2018 - 10:28 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» Fourth Doctor/Sarah Jane Smith
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptySat 15 Dec 2018 - 13:08 by The Eternal Dalek

» The Macra Terror.
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyFri 7 Dec 2018 - 8:11 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» 13th Doctor 5.5" figure
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyFri 7 Dec 2018 - 8:04 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

» The Collection - Season 18 blu ray
Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY EmptyFri 7 Dec 2018 - 7:59 by Admin-Emperor Dalek

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most tagged keywords

Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY

2 posters

Go down

Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY Empty Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY

Post by LastOfTheSonics Sat 31 Mar 2018 - 14:21

So i was rewatching SJA recently, specifically the episode "The Eternity Trap" as in the time passed since it was broadcast i'd forgotten pretty much the entire story. However there was one character in particular that caught my attention - Erasmus Darkening.

As the episode went on, I began to draw more and more parallels between Erasmus and another infamous Who character - Rassilon. So here's my evidence for this theory:

-Both Erasmus and Rassilon can "torture" people using their hand - Erasmus makes the spirits fade away with his hand, and Rassilon uses his glove to harm others or at least threaten them with it.
-We are only ever told that Erasmus is an "alien scientist", we are never told what his species is, nor are we told what planet he is from.
-Erasmus originally came to Earth in the 17th century, and remained in the Manner for the next 400 years - the Doctor was once trapped in a castle for 4.5 billion years, therefore it's not difficult to believe Time Lords can withstand excessive periods of time in an isolated area (yes, sure the Doctor didn't know he was in a closed energy loop the whole time, but by the time he starts breaking the wall he is very much aware).
-Erasmus is Immortal; Rassilon was obsessed with immortality and tried everything to obtain it, suppose maybe he did?
-Erasmus refers to himself as a "Lord" at multiple times throughout the story - possibly alluding to time lord?
-Similar to how he refers to himself as a "Lord", Erasmus also states he is "In control of time" (paraphrasing), again like a time lord.
-Sarah Jane finds his alien technology in his realm, and even directly refers to how the TARDIS is essentially a scaled-up version of the machine. Therefore, Erasmus must have access to Time Lord technology surely? And therefore he would have to be a time lord theoretically.

And now for the biggest piece of evidence I have:
-Donald Sumpter, the actor who plays Erasmus Darkening, also plays Rassilon in the S9 finale "Hell Bent". Yes, he has had other roles in Classic Who and they aren't Rassilon, but given all the aforementioned evidence, I think this correlation is logical. 

The only problem with this theory you might state is the order of the stories. Timothy Dalton plays Rassilon in the End of Time (2010), but The Eternity Trap is set in 2009 - well, mostly. But that's the thing, Rassilon is a time lord, who's to say he didn't travel back in time? Putting the pieces together, here's the timeline:

-At the end of Hell Bent, Rassilon is evicted from Gallifrey.
-Rassilon's ship is damaged/malfunctions sending him through the time vortex, trapping him in the Manor in the 17th century on Earth.
-The alien machine Rassilon has is built using technology scavenged from his ship.
-400 years on, the events of the Eternity Trap happen, and Erasmus/Rassilon is finally defeated.

If you watch the episode now baring this theory in mind, I guarantee you'll see the connection too!

What do you think? Does my theory hold any weight or is this all just a massive coincidence?
LastOfTheSonics
LastOfTheSonics
The Sixth Doctor's TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY Empty Re: Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 22:34

I like this theory a lot. Did you know Erasmus Darkening was played by Donald Sumpter who also played Rassilon.
You mention Timothy Dalton played Rassilon in 2010, still doesn't mean your theory could not be true, for example the Faceless ones, Ben and Polly learn that the day is 20 July 1966, the day they first entered the Tardis, that was with the First Doctor, so no reason why Rassilon in the form of Erasmus Darkening could not of been on earth then. Also you remind me of a conversation the second Doctor had with the Brigadier in The Five Doctors about Rassilon.

DOCTOR 2: I wonder, could Rassilon himself have brought us here?
BRIGADIER: Hang on a minute, Doctor. You said this chap Rassilon was dead. You did say that was his tomb?
DOCTOR 2: Oh, it is, but no one really knows how extensive his powers were.
BRIGADIER: He could still be alive?
DOCTOR 2: Watching us at this very moment.
BRIGADIER: Didn't you say he was supposed to be rather a good type?
DOCTOR 2: So the official history says, but there are many rumours and legends to the contrary. Some say his fellow Time Lords rebelled against his cruelty and locked him in the Tower in eternal sleep.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

https://doctorwhotoys.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY Empty Re: Erasmus Darkening is Rassilon THEORY

Post by LastOfTheSonics Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 22:51

Oh good point. I hadn't thought of that.

And yes I did know about the actor, in fact that was the stimulus for this theory.
LastOfTheSonics
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 23:19

LastOfTheSonics wrote:Oh good point. I hadn't thought of that.

And yes I did know about the actor, in fact that was the stimulus for this theory.

Which point are you reffering too?
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics Tue 10 Apr 2018 - 8:50

Donald Sumpter being the man who plays both of them for the stimulus.
(Also plays Enrico in the Wheel in Space)

And the conversation between 2nd and Brig for the point I hadn't thought of. Maybe the "tower" is Erasmus's realm in SJA?
LastOfTheSonics
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin-Emperor Dalek Tue 10 Apr 2018 - 20:14

Could be....
He also played— Commander Ridgeway in the Sea Devils.
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin-Emperor Dalek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastOfTheSonics Tue 10 Apr 2018 - 20:39

Oh yeah I forgot about his role in that story.

Another thing that holds to this theory which I've just remembered is that in Hell Bent there's the cloister wraiths which are like ghosts that are confined to one area. Similar to how the ghosts in the eternity trap are confined to the house.
LastOfTheSonics
LastOfTheSonics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum